Friday, July 2, 2010

Handmade Card Idea

I stumbled upon this idea for designing a handmade card placing the card's message on a bookmark which is detachable but leaves the card intact.

You see I normally print the personalised message on paper, cut it out and glue with gluestick. This process can be painstaking at times getting the paper cut to the correct size as I often add a right hand border (with coloured cardstock) to the inside of the card which is visible from the outside. This lends contrast to the colour and design on the front of the card.

 I create one of a kind handmade card design using stickers, ribbons, transfers, glue dots, glue stick, cardstock (only repeated if copies are requested by the purchaser, but I change the colours). I hate to mess up the inside of the card.

Also I know that before I began designing cards, I would find cards I liked on the outside but not what was on the inside so I kept toying in my mind how can I allow persons to choose the design and choose the personalised message they want and yesterday it hit me why not do a detachable bookmark and see how that goes.

So I printed the message on white cardstock, cut it out smaller than the width and height of the card.Added some stickers. I attached friggie tape ( got it from a friend and had not really used it) to the back and then attached it to the card. I held the card by the ribbon of the bookmark just to check if it was holding. You see the friggie tape is double sided but does not stick to your fingers. It did hold ! At least for about 5mins.

So then I checked to see whether I could detach the bookmark without harming the card and I was able to. Then I stuck it back on.

Now the benefits-
  • The bookmark will stick to page of book without falling out, thus you do not lose nor damage your page
  • The recipient gets to keep a memory of the card. Most people throw their cards out after a few days because of storage issues
  • The bookmark becomes even more personalised and of more value with the signature of the sender
  • The card becomes reusable, you can just attach another bookmark or write something inspirational on it

So thats my handmade card idea with detachable bookmark. Hope you like it!

Renee Hamilton
RT Gifts
July 2nd 2010



No comments:

Post a Comment